Special Education Needs and Disability (SEND) Information

What is SEND?

A child may be identified as having SEN (Special Educational Need/ Disability) if they have learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her (SEN Code of Practice 2014).

A learning difficulty is when:

A child has significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others the same age as them. A child has a disability which prevents from making use of facilities which others their age could make use of.

The Head Teacher and SEND Governor will:

  • Give responsibility to the SENDCo and class teachers, but are still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • The Head teacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

Our Headteacher is Mrs Llewelyn-Cook and our school SEND governor is Mrs Lydia Birds.

  • The school follows the SEN Code of Practice (2014) for children who have special or additional needs.
  • All classes in school are of mixed ability, and teachers provide learning activities which are specially designed to match the ability of each group. They do this using a variety of materials and classroom support.
  • If your child is identified as having additional needs, we will let you at the earliest opportunity, we can discuss our concerns and how we can support your child in school. Together, we will develop a Learning Plan, bringing together all of our ideas.
  • For a small proportion of children, we may need to involve specialist support services, outside of school such as speech and language or the learning support team. We will talk to you about this before we start any work, so that you have the opportunity to ask questions and raise any concerns.
  • At Two Gates Primary School, we are sensitive to the needs of all children and ensure that their achievements are recognised. We aim to provide all of our children with a curriculum differentiated to their needs, if those needs can be met by the school. 

What are the different areas of SEND (SEN Code of Practice 2014)

There are 4 main areas of need:

  • Communication and interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health

Sensory and or Physical needs Children’s needs may be identified within one specific area of SEN or cross over the areas of need.

How will the school support my child? Who is responsible for meeting my child’s needs?

Teachers will:

  • Check on the progress of your child and identify, plan and deliver any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo) know as necessary
  • Write Learning plans, which will be shared and reviewed with you at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Provide personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on the class provision map and your child’s learning plan.
  • Ensure that they follow school’s SEND Policy in class.

The SENDCo will

  • Develop and review the school’s SEND policy every 3 years. Review due in 2021.
  • Co-ordinate all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND).
  • Ensure that you are:
    i) Involved in supporting your child’s learning
    ii) Kept informed about the support your child is getting
    iii) Involved in reviewing how they are doing.
  • Liaise with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology.
  • Update the school’s SEND School Support Register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and make sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Provide specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

Will my child be involved?

We encourage older children to involved in their target setting and reviews. Children are made aware of their targets and discuss their progress with their class teacher. If you like, they can attend the termly review of their Learning Plan.

Our school SENDCo is Mrs Michelle Dodds. Our Assistant SENDCo is Ms Hayley Pugh.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

If your child is identified as needing SEND School Support, their needs will be met in different ways. Across the school, teacher plan lesson using the National Curriculum 2014. Pupils are assessed against the National Curriculum. For pupils with SEND, their progress can be tracked using the SEND Continuums. These continuums break curriculum content into smaller, more achievable steps.

*Please note, eligibility criteria or assessments may apply for some of the resources or activities listed. Please contact us for further information.*

Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching). For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo) are in place to support your child to learn. Your child’s teacher will carefully check on your child’s progress and will have decide if extra support could them make the best possible progress.

School Based Support:

For your child, additional support could be:

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.
  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA). 
  • May be run at individual or group level.

There are many different programmes which can be run in school. Your child’s teacher, along with advice from the SENDCo, will decide which type of programme will best meet your child’s needs. This will be discussed with you before the programme starts.

Specialist groups run by outside agencies.

If your child makes little progress despite high quality teaching in the classroom and targeted support in school, additional advice and support may be sought from specialist support services. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services, such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
  • Private services such as Education Psychology or SEND Learning Consultant.

What might this support be like for my child?

Specified Individual support

  • You will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.
  • The specialist support service will meet with you to discuss your concerns and their findings and recommendations.
  • Any recommendations will be put in place by the class teacher and SENDCo.

Specified Individual support

  • This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and/or lifelong.
  • This is usually provided via a Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching. For your child this could mean:
  • The school (or you) can request an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment. This is a legal process which takes 20 weeks.
  • After the initiation has been made, an SEND Key worker will be appointed. They will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • Initially, information will be gathered from different agencies working with your child.
  • If required, further assessments will be carried out to identify specific needs.
  • The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.

  • If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Education Needs/ Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo).
  • The school SEN Governor can also be contacted for support.

Who decides what support is available for my child and how?

The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors on the basis of needs in the school.

  • The Head Teacher and the SENDCo discuss all the information they have about children in the school, including those children getting extra support already and the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.

From this information, they decide what resources/training and support is needed.

  • The school identifies the needs of SEN pupils on a provision map and SEN School Support Register.
  • The provision map shows all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changed as needed, so that the needs of children are met and resources are deployed as effectively as possible.

What support will there be for my child’s personal overall well-being?

Your child may be identified by their class teacher and assessed for support from the Nurture group (The Den).

  • When this is the case, the teacher will complete an assessment called a Boxhall Profile.
  • There are specific criteria on the Boxhall Profile for children who need nurture support.
  • From this profile, adaptations and additional provision are planned to meet children’s needs.
  • Some children attend a Start the Day group to help them begin the school day in happy, calm way and enable them to be ready to learn.
  • Buddy systems are also in place during lunchtime and break time to support children.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting?

There are many ways in which your child’s needs can be met in school. Please note, eligibility criteria or assessments may apply for some of the resources or activities listed.

School Based Support

  • All teachers are responsible for teaching children with SEN.
  • Teaching Assistants and HLTAs are also responsible for the SEN children they work with, either in groups or individually.

For your child, this could also involve:

  • Precision Teaching: highly targeted reading, spelling and maths activities.
  • English and Maths group support programmes.
  • Start the day emotional and social support.
  • Teaching Assistants or HLTAs offering support for children with emotional and social development.

Local Authority Provision delivered in school

  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • SEND Family Partnership
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)
  • Visual and Hearing Impairment Team
  • PDSS (Physical Disability Support Service)

Health Provision delivered in school

  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • CAMHs
  • Counselling Services

How will I know how well my child is doing and how will you help me support my child’s learning?

  • There are two parent’s consultation evenings during the school year (Autumn and Spring Term).
  • You will also receive a written school report which details your child’s progress and attainment.
  • You are able to make appointments to see your child’s teacher or the SENDCO at any time, through the school office.
  • If your child has a Learning Plan, you will be invited in to develop targets and strategies to support your child each term.
  • If your child is having support from a specialist service, you will be invited in to attend review meetings with the specialist professional.

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.

  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual requirements.
  • A home-school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

What training has been given the staff supporting children with SEND?

The SENDCO supports the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.

  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Dyslexia and Speech and Language difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class, e.g. from the Autism Outreach Team (AoT) service.

We are committed to keeping our professional development up-to-date.

How accessible is the school environment?

  • Two Gates is an inclusive school and all reasonable adjustments are made to ensure that the school environment is as accessible as possible.
  • We have a Disability, Equality and Accessibility Plan which is reviewed yearly to make sure that our school environment meets the needs of all children.

The DEAP (and other Equality Duties) can also be viewed on the school website.

  • The school has easy access and double doors and ramps.
  • There is one disabled toilet.
  • We ensure where ever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs. This may include: writing ramps, radio-aid, visual screens, and coloured exercise books for example.
  • We work closely with external agencies to adapt to pupils’ needs.
  • After-school provision is accessible to all children, including those with SEN.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEN.
  • All children with SEN or disability are able to access trips and activities. In line with the Equality Act we make reasonable adjustments to ensure their needs are met. We liaise with parents and undertake risk assessments to ensure every child is safe and included.
  • There is also access to a disabled parking space.

How will the school prepare or support my child to join the school or to transfer to a new setting?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is joining us from another school:

  • The SENDCo will visit pre-schools with the Foundation Stage Leader when appropriate.
  • Transition meetings are planned between the SENDCo and the previous setting and/or support services to share information and strategies to support children coming into school.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, one will be made for them.
  • Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for a taster session, if this is appropriate.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the SENDCo at your child’s new school and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENDCo from the new school.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, one will be made for them.
  • Your child will be supported when attending transition taster days at their new school where appropriate.

When moving classes in school:

  • The SENDCo meets will all class teachers to gather information to share with your child’s new class teacher.
  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. Learning Plans will be shared with the new teacher.
  • All children with SEND develop a Pupil Passport with their class teacher to give their new teacher important information about them.

In Year 6:

  • The SENDCo and class teacher will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SEN Team of your child’s secondary school. Where appropriate, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place with the SENDCo from the new school.
  • Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, one will be made for them.

Where can I find more information about support services on offer?

The marketplace is Staffordshire’s new online directory where you can browse, compare and select local services in one place.


You can find more information on SEND reforms, including Staffordshire’s Local Offer for SEND support and the Education, Health and Care Plans on:


SEND Family Partnership (formerly Parent Partnership) is for parents and carers of children and young people aged 0 to 25, with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). They offer Information, Advice and Support about Education, Health and Social Care issues.


Helpline Number: 01785 356921  or email sfps@staffordshire.gov.uk

Contact Details – Two Gates Primary School SENDCo

Our school SENDCo is Mrs Michelle Dodds and Assistant SENDCo is Mrs Hayley Pugh

They can be contacted via the school office:  01827 213855